Grad school is usually limited to postgraduates. The majority being 20-somethings on track to enter careers that require advanced level degrees, or maybe just hoping to coast by a little longer before entering the real world. Most programs don’t consist of 30-something executive level professionals — but that’s exactly who fills the Executive Master’s of Business Administration classes. EMBA students are on average 32-38 years old and have already spent years in a managerial role. How does a successful manager benefit from going back to school? Here are a few of the reasons why.
To finally get that promotion.
Climbing the corporate ladder can often lead to a plateau. You reach management level and you come to a point where a promotion would put you in a whole new weight class. Getting your superiors to see you at that level is not always easy. They value you as an employee but may not be ready to move you up. Earning a Master’s of Business Administration gives you new cards to bring to the table when negotiating a promotion and shows your employer you are dedicated and ready for the next step in your career. 37% of graduates expected a promotion after completing their EMBA degree. Going back to school carries a lot of weight when proving your worth for a promotion.
Gain better job security.
Unemployment may not be the media buzz of the moment but it still exists, and job security is something that everyone worries about at one time or another. Earning an advanced level degree, such as an Executive MBA, can increase job security by helping you to be more competitive and qualified. 95% is the employment rate for business professionals with an MBA. Graduating from a Master’s of Business Administration program instantly makes you more employable as you become a better asset to your company.
Expand leadership skills.
The workplace is not stagnant. Culture and technology are constantly changing, shifting the way employees think and do work. By ignoring the evolution that takes place, managers will lack the ability to run a productive team. Going back to school for an MBA brings benefits such as improved leadership skills and the opportunity to adopt new management techniques. Executives that want to stay relevant in a fast paced workforce see grad school as a way to provide their team members with better leadership.
Get a raise.
Earning more money takes time, and not everyone is patient. Some companies only award raises at milestones (such as a one or five year anniversary) or alongside promotions. In this scenario, if an employee feels they are not being properly compensated for their time they may take a position with another company rather than wait out a raise. While job jumping to reach the salary you want can work short term, it doesn’t look great on your resume — and is also kind of exhausting. A better alternative is warranting a raise by going to grad school and completing an advanced business degree. Some companies reward employees for completing an MBA or EMBA by offering a bonus incentive, and many executives choose to cease this opportunity rather than quitting.
Become an entrepreneur.
Business professionals don’t just go back to school to move up within their company, many do so to gain the knowledge and skills to start one of their own. The average MBA graduate will see annual business revenue of $128,569 just one year after completing their degree. Rather than go into business ownership blindly, an MBA teaches an entrepreneur how to build from the bottom up and manage a successful company. Strategy, planning and profit are all topics that are taught in an MBA program and can help entrepreneurs tackle the common struggles that come along with a startup.
Choosing a good fence company, such as our friends over at Halls Fence, for a job that you need completed is often a challenging task. When looking for a fencing contractor, working with the right company can make all the difference with respect to the quality of job that you will eventually get. Choosing a good fencing company will also protect you from annoying complications that may develop during or after the installation. Without much ado, therefore, here is an overview of some of the factors that you need to consider in order to end up with a good fencing company:
Research On Available Companies: Before interviewing any fencing contractor, you can first learn about the different services that they offer via customer reviews and feedbacks as well as other relevant information about some of the local fencing companies within your locality. This will go a long way in narrowing down your search to a few companies for more thorough examination.
Check Their Better Business Bureau Rating: Besides a general research on the available companies, you can also explore how the companies you are interested in rate on the Better Business Bureau. This will help you in identifying certain complaints that might have been filed against the company in question as well as their overall business rating.
Check Examples of Their Previous Projects: Some companies will provide pictures of their previous works—some will even provide addresses of their past projects. This will provide you with an overview of how a given fence type will look like once it is finally installed. It will also provide you with additional insight into the quality of work that the company is able to produce.
Go For A Well Established Company: A well established fence company that does installations and repairs has been around for years is always a good bet considering the fact that they have extensive experience in the fencing business. Even if it is considerably a young company, consider finding more about its principals and how long they have been in the business. You can also ask for their portfolio so that you have the opportunity to determine the quality of their initial projects.
Check for Warranties/Insurance: A good company will always honor manufactures’ warranties for products defects. Similarly, the best fencing companies will be ready to give you warranties to support their workmanship. Additionally, it is always in order for contractors to carry various insurance covers (such as workers’ compensation insurance and personal liability insurance) for their employees. Try to avoid fencing companies which don’t have appropriate insurance cover; otherwise, you may be liable for any damages or injuries that may occur during your fencing project.
Check And Confirm The Fencing Materials To Be Used: Ensure that the proposal given covers all the necessary details including but not limited to fence types, fencing materials, type of gates, and other footage requirements. You should be wary of companies that have lower price tags than the proposals that you have considered.
Although these tips don’t cover everything, they are a good starting point when you want to choose the right fencing company.
A found a great post on one of my favorite new blogs that talked about the benefits of drinking water daily. I knew it was important but I didn’t know it was THAT important. Today I want to share some of the benefit
Drinking water is a struggle for many people; try as they may they just cannot seem to get into the habit of downing several glasses of it down every day. The truth is that you need water for so many different things that you simply cannot afford to go without it. In fact, you are risking your health in some ways. This article is about how water helps with different areas of your body and health. Grab a glass of water and read through!
• Forget the coffee enemas and all those other recommended detox programs out there. The truth is that if you make it a habit to drink water on a regular basis your body will detox itself just fine. If you start taking 2 liters a day today you will be “clean” in a few months time.
• A lot of skin problems happen because we don’t drink enough water. People develop dry skin, uneven complexion, pimples, acne – and all because they are ignoring the simplest cure – water. Drink lots of water if you have skin problems and watch your skin and overall health improve.
• Constipation is a problem that affects millions of people world over. Scientists have looked at the numbers of people who have a problem moving their bowels in hot areas compared to those in cold areas. Not surprisingly, those who live in hot areas report less constipation. The most likely reason is that they drink more water than people who live in cold places.
• Ladies, water will help you feel less bloated. You know that feeling that you get in your tummy sometimes when you drink soda or a coffee? In fact, when you drink water the feeling goes away.
• If you are like most, there are times when you overdo the night out and wake up with a horrible hangover. Along with your 2 aspirin take two or three glasses of water and it will go away much faster.
• The moment you feel a cold coming on start to drink lots of water. It will last a shorter time and your symptoms will be less severe.
• Get a slimmer body – most people who drink little or no water usually rely on sweet drinks. When the sugar in the drink is digested it is converted into fat. Over the years, you will grow fatter and fatter. Water has no calories so it will keep you slim.
Done! Now go get yourself another glass of water!
Every year on Thanksgiving, after a few glasses of wine, my family and I like to discuss what we are most thankful for.
It’s an important thing to consciously ask yourself because it allows you to reflect on your life. Even if you have been going through hard times, you can remember the ones around you that love you or that you are healthy and have a roof over your head.
Today I have a list of everything I’m thankful for, and boy is it a dozy!
- My health after a big scare with breast cancer 10 months ago.
- Our families new dog.
- That my youngest son graduated from 3rd grade.
- Our new addition to the house.
- That all of my family members are healthy and happy with their lives.
- My husbands new boat.
- The Saturday nights I get to spend with my oldest friends.
- The fun things I’ve learned taking art classes.
- My new job.
- My husbands promotion.
- That I learned calligraphy for our Christmas cards this year.
So, what are you thankful for this Thanksgiving? Leave a comment below, I would love to read it!